WHAT IS CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a condition caused by increased in pressure on the median nerve at the wrist. Simply put, it is a pinched nerve at the wrist.
The carpal tunnel is a space in the wrist where the median nerve and nine tendons pass from the forearm to the hand. When pressure builds from the swelling in the tunnel, it puts pressure on the nerve. When the pressure becomes great enough, you may experience one or all of the following symptoms:
- Pain in the arm, hand, and fingers
WHAT CAUSES CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME?
The cause is often unknown, but pressure on the nerve can occur in several ways:
- Swelling of the lining of the flexor tendons (tenosynovitis)
- Joint dislocations, fractures, or arthritis narrowing the tunnel
- Keeping the wrist bent for a long periods of time
- Fluid retention during pregnancy (this often goes away after delivery)
- Thyroid conditions, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes
- Carpal tunnel is sometimes due to a combination of causes
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Symptoms usually include pain, numbness, tingling, or a combination of the three, with tingling and numbness most often in the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers.
You will most likely experience symptoms at night, but some notice them during daily activities. Some patients also notice a weaker grip, occasional clumsiness, or a tendency to drop things.
CARPAL TUNNEL TREATMENT
By identifying and treating the underlying medical condition by stimulating the body's natural healing process through neurons, changing the patterns of hand use, or keeping the wrist splinted in a straight position, you may be able to reduce pressure on the nerve. Because the Avazzia device is FDA cleared for the symptomatic relief and management of chronic, intractable pain and adjunctive treatment in the management of post-surgical and post-traumatic pain, we believe that you will see a rapid improvement in range of motion without pain.
Other Treatment Options Include:
- Wearing wrist splints at night to relieve symptoms that interfere with sleep
- Adjusting your workstation to alleviate a possible cause
- Carpal Tunnel Surgery (we hope to help you find a solution other than surgery)
It is possible to relieve Carpal Tunnel symptoms without surgery. As with any surgical procedure, the outcome is not guaranteed. Consult with your physician about using the Avazzia device as an alternative to surgery. The Avazzia device is FDA cleared for the symptomatic relief and management of chronic, intractable pain.
The surgical procedure involves relieving the pressure at the top of the tunnel on the palm side of the hand by cutting the ligament to make more room for the nerve.
Avazzia devices are FDA cleared for the symptomatic relief and management of chronic, intractable pain and adjunctive treatment in the management of post-surgical and post-traumatic pain.